Commercial/ Restaurant Lounge, 4650 sf, (2) stories, Complete Renovation, Ballard Neighborhood Historic Landmark District
Extend the viable use of a historic landmark structure.
The building, located in the center of Ballard’s old town commercial district, was built in the 1920’s as a department store. Planning for the change of use to the restaurant/ lounge necessitated an increase in occupancy and in turn a complete renovation. Completely new core elements include structural/seismic, stairs, and a storefront.
Massive structural steel bracing was integrated as an exposed design element and used to define space. A new steel stair was installed connecting the two-story lounge. Historic photos of the building were referenced in the full renovation of the storefront façade and canopy.